Corner Theater Academy
CORNER THEATER exists to prepare talented students to be college and career-ready, emphasizing learning through individual attention in a positively oriented high school environment.
Objective: In its first phase of existence, to offer a well-rounded theater education to CORNER THEATER students. Then, perhaps in the future to evolve into a program to an under-served out-of-district student population capitalizing on Corner's unique location and CORNER THEATER'S proven success.
Advantages for CHS Students:
- To participate in one of Alabama's largest and most-awarded theatre departments
- Scholarship leader at Corner High School (http://www.cornertheatre.org/scholarships.html)
- To learn at one of the few state-of-the-art facilities in the State of Alabama
- To participate in Corner's AP academic classes
- One day each week, when all students are in class at least once a day (currently a Monday skinny day), will be dedicated to working on academic homework, studying for tests, making up any missed work, etc.
- ACT Study Prep Session for Academy students will be conducted after school leading up to the spring ACT dates.
Regulations for Academy eligibility:
- 1. Maintain a 2.5 GPA at the end of each semester.
- 2. Probationary period for those falling below a 2.5
- 3. School attendance must meet JeffCoEd standards as found in the student handbook
- 4. Rehearsal attendance must meet department standards
- 5. Required study sessions for ACT and required ACT testing during junior year
When freshman come into the department, they are a bit confused about what track to take, whether performance or design. To aid them in their decisions and expose them to all theater areas, units are taught on each of the following:
- Monologue/Duets - Scene Sharing
- Musical Theater
- Lighting Design
- Sound Design
- Scene Design, Properties, and Shop Safety
- Costume Design
- Makeup Design
- Stage Management
- House Management
- Marketing/Theater Business
After participating in all these units, they have a better grasp of their strengths, weaknesses, but most of all, their interests.
Professional Consultants - Conducting workshops/training in all areas of theater expertise: acting, musical theater, voice, choreography, sound design, playwriting, scene design, lighting design, makeup design, costume design, stage management, and auditioning
Booster Club - CT has a very active booster group that supports the department with manpower and finances. CT also has a very faithful annual donor list that gives time, supplies, and money to the department (posted on the website at www.cornertheatre.org).
Administrative Support - The administration at Corner continues to support the theater department and also supports this initiative of creating a theater academy.
Scholarships in past years -- Scholarships for theater students have always been our strong point, averaging $250,000-$300,000 per year.
For more information on the theater department, visit www.cornertheatre.org